Welcome to my journey, or nightmare, we'll see how it goes. If this is your first time here you might want to start at the bottom and read up.

Friday, September 3, 2010

That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here.



So much tar! It's like the thought water was just miraculously seeping through the aluminum. I could understand along the seams, but the whole roof?!?! Anyway, now comes the debate over whether to go to the trouble of using gasoline (NOT RECOMMENDED!) or some other chemical to clean off the tar, then properly seal the seams, hammer out the dents and reuse this roof, or replace with new.

New options include: Rubber type roofs, (EPDM, TPO, Brite-Tek, etc) or Aluminum. Advantages of reusing my old aluminum roof or new are that it's much lighter and possibly cheaper although I haven't sourced new aluminum this size yet. Rubber types are much heavier as they are usually glued over a layer of thin plywood and can be very expensive. One place locally wanted $700 for an 9'x21' piece, nothing smaller or cheaper, not including the glue. I've since found a place online that will cut me a piece of Brite-Tek, "...blends the benefits of EPDM and TPO", 16' long and even offered to trim it down from 9' wide to 8' so it would fit in a tube that UPS would ship for less than $200 shipping included. Now my only decision factor is weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment