Welcome to my journey, or nightmare, we'll see how it goes. If this is your first time here you might want to start at the bottom and read up.

Friday, October 29, 2010

A Joint Venture



After reading a lot about joining plywood in the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers Forums I decided to go with a spline joint. Yes, there are many other ways of joining plywood. Some easier, some harder and some stronger, but this one seemed best for my situation with the tools I have. It also makes for a perfectly flush joint without too much trouble.

To start with I set my router and T-Slot bit and guide to cut a 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep groove in the two edges to be joined getting it as close to centered as I could. Doesn't have to be perfectly centered as long as the router is run along the same side of each piece of plywood so they line up flush even if they are off center slightly.

In the picture above it might look like the one on the left is slightly off and/or wider. That was due to a slight accidental raising of the router at the end of that cut. It is only the last 1/2" or so, so it should not affect the overall strength of the joint and should fill in with glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment