Welcome to my journey, or nightmare, we'll see how it goes. If this is your first time here you might want to start at the bottom and read up.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You blew it!



After downtown Kingston things went smoothly for most of the 3 1/2 hour drive until about 20 km from home. It started to pour like I was trying to drive through Niagara Falls. Wipers on full blast and slowed down to 50km/h and I could still barely see five feet in front of me. That wasn't even the worst of it. About five minutes later while crossing a short causeway I could feel some pulling from one side of the trailer and the distinct sound of a blown tire. Ah crap! Made it over the causeway and pulled off on the nearest side road to check the damage. I had brought lots of tools and a good scissor jack, but unfortunately had no tire iron or even a socket to fit the wheel nuts.

So after a total of six hours on the road and still 20 minutes from home in a deluge of a thunderstorm I was faced with making a tough decision. Option 1, unhitch and head home to get a socket to fit, come back and jack up the trailer in the rain and hope the nuts aren't rusted on solid, then spend another hour or two running around to get a new tire on the rim and then putting it back on, hitch up alone, and finally head home. I went with option 2, tow it home slow, as is on the blown tire, and deal with replacing a wrecked rim.

Wrecked it was by the time I got home, and the shredded tire ripped the wheel well almost completely in half. Just a small extra expense to add to the list of things this trailer needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment